Build between 1613 and 1620, blessed in 1625, it was, by the time, the first church devoted to Saint-Joseph. The Order of the Carmes, which came from Spain, was a mendicant catholic order.
In 1792, during the French Revolution, the covent was used as a prison and more than 150 priests who refused to take an oath to the Constitution, were imprisoned here. In September, 118 of them were atrociously slaughtered by an armed troop. Some remains are still kept in the crypt, which can be visited on saturdays, at 3pm (meeting point at 70, Vaugirard street).